Monday, August 17, 2009

August 2009--First Entry (Bear with me folks...)

I don't really know where to begin. Should I sell myself? Tell my life story? Smh, that would be far too boring and predictable. So, I guess I'll start where I need to...

I'm in my last year of undergrad getting ready to start the student teaching process. It is quite exciting to think about, although somewhat bittersweet. Why? I guess because my rolling out of bed in PJ's to class, pulling all nighters, bartering for my textbooks, and cramming for final days are numbered. The growing up part doesn't scare me so much (I'm getting married in the fall **happy sigh**). It's the idea of having a whole new network of people--parents, fellow teachers, administration, and students--depending upon me that's a little overwhelming. Especially the students. But I'm sure I'm not the only who has (or still is) coping with the feelings of inadequacy when it comes to teaching, especially math. Math teachers just about always get a bad rap.

So I started this to partly vent my pending frustrations, but more importantly to share ideas. I've got tons of ideas on lessons, classroom management, the whole nine. But I'm not really sure what will work until kid tested. I'm always thinking of things that are currently relevant to kids, and wondering how to implement them in the classroom.

Which brings me to my blog title. Everyone remembers the FOIL method for multiplying two binomials, right? First, outer, inner, last--ok forget it if you don't... that can be a later post. Well, anyway, I brainstormed and came up with a rather corny approach to my teaching. I want to be Fun, Overreaching, Interesting, and Love what I do. Now, I do realize that this cannot be done everyday, but I think it's more of a state of mind. If I'm fun and energetic, extend myself to reach all my students, present things in an intersting manner, and really show people that I enjoy what I do--then my kids who really WANT to excel will, right?

On second thought, I don't think that's corny at all...

4 comments:

  1. I think that's awesome. Always keep striving for new ideas and new ways to teach. Our kids are worth it! My math teachers would just throw the book at me and tell me to do what it says, so you're already a leg up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Janay! It's Laura M. (your old work buddy). I think your FOIL method of teaching sounds so great and creative! Eventually (if you haven't already) you will create a teaching philosophy and you should definitely include your "FOIL" method in there. That is just so neat - principals will eat that up! Student teaching is definitely difficult and exhausting, but you will learn more during your student teaching experience than any other semester you've had at any other college. You quickly learn what will work and what will not and that when you set the bar high for you students they (or the majority of them) will rise to those expectations. Keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura!!!! It's so good to hear from you! Thanks for responding! We've talked about our teaching philosophy, but I haven't totally created it yet (kind of a work in progress). Please keep coming to my blog and giving me feedback!

    ReplyDelete