Sunday, August 23, 2009

Open House, Orientation, and no Budweiser tees...

This past Thursday was open house at my high school, and the response was pretty overwhelming. For one, a lot of parents were excited that there was a student teacher working alongside their child's teacher. The fact that the parents were just as excited as I was for me to be there was extremely comforting.

Despite the fact most students came with their parents, personalities and work ethic clearly came through. The sass in some of my girls was evident, but the sweetness and willingness to cooperate was there too. Some students were open enough to express their disgust for math as well as their unwillingness to do homework. This will be a fun semester for sure...

Now the boys were.... boys. I think many of them assumed I was a student and flashed that awkward teenage boy smile--you know, the one where they try to hide the fact that they're really smiling? It wasn't until I took the intiative to shake mom and dad's hands first and introduced myself as Ms. B that I put the nail in the proverbial coffin. But they'll deal I'm sure... or I'll call mom (LOL).

Friday was my yearlong internship orientation at my school. The emphasis from my dean was open, honest and detailed communication between me, my CT, and my school's college of education. Many an intership has failed due to lack of communication between two of these three parties.

Once we got to the professionalism portion, things got a little intersting. When it came to dress, we were told of a yearlong intern teaching kindergarten who came to school in a Bud tee shirt. When asked by the principal to change their shirt, the lovely intern responded "What difference does it make? They can't read anyway!" Wow, how nice.

Teachers and parents of the world please rest assured--this is only a small (and dumb) segment of the student teaching population. I would assume 99.999999% of us really take our pending careers very seriously.

But it's always that one bad (amusingly foolish) apple...
First day's Tuesday--I'll fill you in soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment